With the state relaxing the public COVID restrictions, a number of people are experiencing fear and anxiety about how the pandemic will play out. Businesses are telling customers that people must wear a mask if they are unvaccinated, yet they are not verifying vaccination status. Less than half of California’s population is vaccinated, and let’s face it – people who are unvaccinated for selfish or misinformed reasons are thrilled to “go back to normal.”
Others who are unvaccinated may not have had the opportunity to receive the vaccine, and there are people who were vaccinated that may not have a fully protective response. Some people who are vaccinated still run the risk of experiencing severe illness if they contract COVID-19. The San Jose Peace and Justice Center has taken these realities into consideration. For everyone’s safety, we have decided to see how the summer plays out with the intention of opening the indoor space for meetings and events starting on September 1st.
Until then, we are accepting submissions for outdoor meetings and events. Approval will be on the basis of anticipated capacity and the nature of the event, as well as a willingness to meet with SJPJC staff to discuss expectations and specific needs of the group. Fill out the form to suggest an event on our Community Calendar: https://sanjosepeace.org/calendar/
Some policies and procedures to keep in mind:
- Please wear a mask if you are not fully vaccinated and ask others in your group to wear a mask if they are not vaccinated.
- Limit the number of people in the house as much as possible.
- Obtain a custom code for the front & back door locks and do not share code publicly. If needed, we can create more than one code.
- Sanitize all used tables and chairs before putting them away.
- The front gate must be open at all times when people are coming in and out of the space.
- Front and back doors should be locked at all times.
- Each group gives to build – there is no set fee to reserve the space, and any donation will allow us to continue to serve groups moving forward.